Friday, December 3, 2010

Travel

I am planning a trip to India. The thing I love about going to a country like this is that not only is it so different from where I am from but it is also because there are less rules. You can actually breathe. Maybe it is because I live in one of the most over beauracritized places in Canada, but I get so tired of faceless government people telling me how to live my life. I moved to the Yukon because twenty years ago it still had that frontier feel of letting people just do their thing. Of course all the government types are doing their level best to make sure we have lots of rules and regulations to live by so they can control our every move. They are quickly ruining what was once a very cool place to live.
I think there are two types of people; those that love the rules because life is too frightening to contemplate without a blueprint to go by and those that like to just live it, maybe fucking up on occasion but still living their life in a free way. It is the difference between living with the volume turned up or turned down.
So I look forward to India where they ride their motorcycles with four members of the family hanging off of it and !gasp! without helmets. It's a place where smokers can smoke where ever the hell they want without getting a fine. It's a place where you are not "ruled" to death. That is my kind of holiday. It renews the spirit so I can come back home and deal with all the bullshit and minutiae that has become part of our lives here.

1 comment:

  1. Travel is awesome for breathing new life into the way you see your everyday. After all, its not the landscape that changes, but the traveler.

    ReplyDelete